Monday, December 12, 2011

Erik Friberg heads back home to Sweden after one season with the Sounders

By Money Mike



Unfortunately, another Sounder is packing up and leaving Seattle. After one season with the Seattle Sounders, midfielder Erik Friberg is heading back to Sweden. The 25-year old midfielder has transfered to Swedish Allsvenskan club Malmo FF and will officially join his new club on New Years Day 2012. Reports are saying that Friberg is starting a young family. And honestly, I don't know what they mean by that. All I know is that Friberg wants to be close to his family and is officially transfering from the Sounders on New Years Day when the International Winter Transfer period officially opens.

This move now puts an end to the Brad Evans-Erik Friberg contriversy, but not the way anybody would've hoped. Friberg made 28 appearances for the Sounders (including the playoffs), scored one goal and assisted on two others and he was just about 10x better and more consistant than Brad Evans. Evans these past couple of seasons has been injury prone and on the pitch, he's made some sloppy passes. He really shouldn't be in the starting 11 next season, and with Steve Zakuani returning next season, I don't even think that Evans will be in the starting 11. They may move Mauro Rosales to an attacking midfield position or maybe they'll spend money in the transfer window and pick up an attacking midfielder. Whatever it is they'll do, I doubt Evans will be a starter and I don't think he should be a starter because this guy sucks.

Here's what Friberg said in a statement......

"I am very proud to have played for Sounders FC and our tremendous fans. It's been a fantastic year for me, one that I will never forget. I want to thank my teammates, the coaches, the club officials and our supporters for all their help and encouragement. Perhaps in the future, there will be an opportunity for me to come back and play again for the Sounders."

I'm shocked to hear that Friberg's leaving because he was an asset to the team and everyone who has been watching should agree with this statement. I don't think it's that big of a loss for the Sounders, but I didn't see it coming at all because they protected him in the Expansion Draft, they exercised his option for the 2012 season, but as said on the statement, Friberg isn't ruling out a return to the Sounders in the future, and I hope he comes back to Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment