By Money Mike
With the CONCACAF Gold Cup now a couple weeks away, some teams have still yet to unveil their squad, while the others are all set and ready to go including the United States national team. USA head coach Bob Bradley earlier today, announced his squad for their friendly match on June 4th against Spain and also for the Gold Cup, and after looking at the squad, I must admit, I'm a little disappointed in his work. Looking at the squad, of course there are players that definitely deserve a spot on the roster like Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Juan Agudelo, Tim Howard, Carlos Bocanegra, etc. And there are players that I just do not understand why they are on the roster or how they made the roster. I mean, looking at the squad here, you'll understand what I'm talking about here...
United States 2011 Gold Cup squad:
1. Tim Howard (Everton; England)
2. Jonathan Spector (West Ham United; England)
3. Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Etienne; France)
4. Michael Bradley (Borussia Monchengladbach; Germany)
5. Oguchi Onyewu (A.C. Milan; Italy)
6. Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96; Germany)
7. Maurice Edu (Rangers; Scotland)
8. Clint Dempsey (Fulham; England)
9. Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls; MLS)
10. Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy; MLS)
11. Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes; MLS)
12. Jonathan Bornstein (UANL Tigres; Mexico)
13. Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04; Germany)
14. Eric Lichaj (Aston Villa; England)
15. Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls; MLS)
16. Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht; Belgium)
17. Jozy Altidore (Villarreal; Spain)
18. Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake; MLS)
19. Robbie Rodgers (Columbus Crew; MLS)
20. Freddy Adu (Caykur Rizespor; Turkey)
21. Clarence Goodson (Brondby IF; Norway)
22. Benny Feilhaber (New England Revolution; MLS)
23. Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton Wanderers; England)
Players that should've made the squad:
- I don't get this at all, he's only 21, he now has a starting job at right back with FC Nurnburg. Bob Bradley what the hell did you not like that made you decide to leave him off the squad. He made his debut against Argentina and did very well all around the pitch. He made his second appearance for the U.S. national team against Paraguay, and again, didn't disappoint. Every was expecting him to make the Gold Cup squad and now I look at the list and he is not there.
- This guy graduated from Boston College in 2008, went straight to Europe and quickly earned a starting job at Orebro SK in Sweden. Since he began in 2009, he's made 58 appearances and scored 8 goals for that club. Now, he didn't make the World Cup squad in 2010, and nobody expected him to make it either, but no Gold Cup either?
- Why is he left out? Another young player that was expected to make the roster and I don't see his name. Teal Bunbury had a good rookie season with Kansas City last year and I know he came back from injury at the start of the 2011 MLS season but he's still having a good year. This guy is very good on the ball, he finds ways to burst through a trap and he has that goalscoring potential. Leaving him off the roster - STUPID MOVE!!
- Why is Buddle left out? Didnt you see him domintate in 2010 while he was with the LA Galaxy? He is a goalscoring threat, and the US team only has three strikers because Bob Bradley just ditched him because he's not thinking straight.
Players who made the squad that absolutely did not deserve a spot:
- This guy had a crappy 2010-2011 season at West Ham. He was only useful for cup matches because he scored in those matches, but in the League, he sucked. Pretty much the reason why he lost his job at right back and also why he shouldn't be on the U.S. team.
- God damn, this guy is a worthless soccer player. How the fuck did he make the squad. Ever since he left for Europe, it was like, nobody wanted him anymore. Look, in 2004, he gets drated by D.C. United at 14-years of age, he makes 30 appearances and scores 5 goals that year, and everybody started to love him when he was at D.C. from 04'-06'. Get's traded to Real Salt Lake in 2007, but then he opts out of his contract and moves to Europe (TOO DAMN EARLY!!). He signs with Benfica and he just struggles. He gets loaned out to AS Monaco to try to pick up his game, that didn't work. Next season, he's loaned out to Belenenses and he sucked over there, then loaned out to Aris FC, same story, he sucked. Seriously, I can't believe he's on the roster, especially after he's proven to be worthless.
- Here's another guy that doesn't deserve to be on the roster. The last two times he's capped for the United States, he was terrible defensively, and he also keeps giving the ball away. So let me get this straight, you add him on the roster so he can continue to play like shit? If the U.S. wins the Gold Cup, then maybe I'll take back everything I said, but if not, I think it's time Bob Bradley stepped down.