By Money Mike
The Seattle Sounders close out CONCACAF Champions League Group play Tuesday night at CenturyLink Field as they will play host to Mexican club C.F. Monterrey. Last time these two met down at Estadio Tecnologico in Monterrey, the Sounders pulled off a huge upset against the CONCACAF Champions. Alvaro Fernandez's 38th minute goal prooved to be the difference as Seattle came away with a 1-0 win. I've said this so many times now, it's been a crazy ride for the Seattle Sounders in MLS, the U.S. Open Cup and the CONCACAF Champions League, I'm already looking forward to watching them in the playoffs and also looking forward to watching them in the Champions League Quarterfinal in early March. Monterrey need at least a draw to secure a spot in the Quarterfinal. A win would also clinch first place in the group and home field advantage in the 2nd leg of the Quarterfinal round. If they don't want to suffer a loss that would put them in danger of elimination, every single player on that team, including Aldo de Nigris, Humberto Suazo and Neri Cardozo is gonna have to play perfect almost all game.
What to look out for in this game:
- We won't have a giant crowd like we did Saturday night so don't even try to get your hopes up on that part.
- Lately since Terry Boss suffered that concussion I've been keeping an eye on the goalkeeping situation with the Sounders, and that's what I'm going to do again for this match. Wondering if it will be Kasey Keller, if it will be Josh Ford, or if it will be Bryan Meredith getting the start in goal for the Sounders.
- I, as a matter of fact, will be keeping an eye on the entire lineup for this game and for Saturdays final regular season game against Chivas USA because you want your best team out there in the playoffs if you want to win the big prize. I'm not expecting this, but I'm hoping we see the young players like Michael Tetteh, David Estrada, Amadou Sanyang and Servando Carrasco out on the pitch.
- A win or a draw by the Seattle Sounders and they will clinch the top spot in Group D and get home field advantage in the second leg of the Champions League Quarterfinals.
- If Monterrey wins, they will get the top spot in Group D. A draw would clinch them second place (Unless Comunicaciones defeat Herediano by at least 8). If they lose, but Comunicaciones fail to defeat Herediano, Monterrey will still clinch a spot in the Quarterfinals. However, if they lose and Comunicaciones defeats Herediano, Comunicaciones will clinch a spot in the Champions League Quarterfinals and Monterrey would be eliminated.