Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Not So Brilliant Idea



By Twolf

The other day I got to thinking, "most the local teams are covered by other bloggers in here and it's pointless reading the same old stuff from yet another person, me". Which is why I came up with an idea that will either be great or a complete bomb. I'll start writing blogs that will be either a) humorous, b) dream scenario, c) straight up opinion, or d) all of the above. Hopefully there will be some factual data in them somewhere.

I'll start off with an interesting dream I had a couple weeks ago. I had won power-ball, something like $350 million, and partnered with Mark Cuban to buy the Mariners. Right after buying the team we fired Chuck Armstrong and Howard Lincoln, something every Mariner fan will love, and take over as CEO (Cuban) and President (me) of the team. Mark Cuban put me in charge of hiring a new General Manager and Manager. Don't ask me why I hired the manager.

Note: This must have been a couple years in the future because Ichiro wasn't on the team (Bryan will love that).

My list of each was very short and it took me no time to find the right two people, Kim Ng and Bobby Valentine.Ng is who I originally wanted the Ms to hire before they decided on Jack Zduriencik and I decided at this stage I must be a shrewd negotiator to talk Valentine into coming out of retirement.

This is where the dream ended, but you know better than to think I'm done. I'm guessing that since this is a few years from now getting Prince Fielder is out of the question so we'll have to settle for Matt Kemp (Hey, this is a dream remember). Since Kim Ng is the one that originally signed him with the Dodgers I'm sure she'd have no problem convincing him to come here for the money Mark Cuban can offer.

With a center fielder decided it's time to move on to catcher. The likely choice is be Brian McCann, but he'll be 31 by then and I'm not sure, with the youth, a 31 year old catcher would be a good idea. With no one younger on the free agent market I think I'll stick with who we have, Adam Moore and Chris Gimenez, and use that money for a right fielder and pitching. This strategy pays off as I'll able to sign BJ Upton (who can play the field or DH) and Zack Greinke.

With the deals done the Mariners lineup will look like this; BJ Upton, Trayvon Robinson, Matt Kemp, Dustin Ackley, Justin Smoak, Mike Carp, Alex Liddi, Adam Moore, and Nick Franklin with a starting rotation of Felix Hernandez, Zack Greinke, Michael Pineda, Erik Bedard, and Hisashi Iwakuma with Heath Bell as closer.

The interesting thing about the players in this lineup is that most will still be 30 or younger in two years.

Although this will never happen I'll be happy if the real Mariners get even one of these players.

1 comment: