Sunday, September 19, 2010
Broncos with 11th consecutive home opener 31-14 over Seahawks
The Denver Broncos continued their home opener winning streak which dates back to 2000 with a 31-14 win over their old AFC west rival the Seattle Seahawks. The Seahawks road woes continue. Seattle hasn't won a road game outside their division since 2007 at Philadelphia. The Broncos kept the chains moving and capitalized on the Seahawks turnovers.
The Seahawks began the game moving the ball down the field at will on the Broncos. The Seahawks drove down the field only to have some unfortunate breaks go against them. Hasselbeck hit Butler who couldn't quite score to set up a 1st and goal from the one yard line. Then Stacy Andrews had a bad false start. Justin Forsett from six yards out ran for the touchdown but it was called back due to a questionable holding call on Sean Locklear. The Seahawks facing a 2nd and goal from the 20 yard line were forced to pass. Hasselbeck was then intercepted by Champ Bailey. This would be the first of many mistakes by the Seahawks.
After the Seahawks forced a Broncos punt rookie Walter Thurmond from Oregon muffed the punt. The Broncos capitalized on that mistake. Kyle Orton hit Eddie Royal for a 7 yard touchdown pass.
Matt Hasselbeck with his team trailing 14-0 tried to a hit an open Jon Carlson but Brian Dawkins the former pro bowler intercepted the pass. Hasselbeck would throw three interceptions on the game with two being inside the 10 yard line. The Seahawks were trailing 17-0 at halftime.
In the second half Hasselbeck hit Ben Obomanu for an 11 yard pass to cut the lead to 17-7. That would be the closest Seattle would get. Denver converted some more crucial third downs on the ensuing drive. The Broncos at one point were 14 of 18 on third downs. Orton on the screen pass to Knowshon Moreno turned into a 45 yard pass which resulted in a Moreno touchdown.
Electing to pass up the field goal that would have cut the lead to 24-10, Pete Carroll decided to go for it on 4th and 2. Instead of throwing a short route the play was for Deion Branch in the back corner of the endzone who was covered by Champ Bailey which Bailey deflected the pass ending Seattle's hopes of winning.
The Broncos would tack on another touchdown to make the game 31-7 when Orton hit rookie wide receiver Demaryius Thomas for a 21 yard catch. Hasselbeck would rush for a 20 yard touchdown scoring a rushing touchdown in back to back weeks.
Kyle Orton had a great game moving the chains. Orton was 25 of 35 for 307 yards with two touchdowns and zero interceptions. Matt Hasselbeck struggled going 20 of 35 for 233 yards passing with one touchdown and three interceptions.
The Seahawks fall to 1-1 and will host the San Diego Chargers(1-1) next week at Qwest field. The Seahawks if they wish to make the postseason must learn to win on the road. Since 2007 the Seahawks are now 1-15 on the road vs non division opponents.
- Golden Tate is really good. The Seahawks have found themselves a punt returner. First time he touched the ball as a Seahawk he busts a punt return 63 yards. Then on his first reception with his YAC turned the play into a 52 yard catch. The Seahawks had just two plays of over 40 yards last year from their receivers in 2009.
- The Seahawks defense has to do a better job of getting off the field. The Broncos were 14 of 20 on third downs and at one point 14 of 18.
- Justin Forsett just isn't getting enough carries. For the second straight week now Forsett has averaged over 5 YPC yet hasn't received 10 carries. Every wasted carry you give Julius Jones needs to go to Forsett.
- Deon Butler starting to emerge as a go to guy hauling in 5 receptions for 50 yards. He had just 15 receptions last year but has 6 this year already.
- Mike Williams was held to just one reception. One catch for 7 yards was all he had. Going up against a Champ Bailey will do that for you.
- The Broncos haven't lost a home opener since 1999 when the Seahawks were still in the division and Bill Clinton was president. I was still in middle school as well.
Well hope you guys enjoyed my write up and observations. I didn't have as many obversations as it was my birthday so I was a bit occupied during the game.