Sunday, July 17, 2011

USA vs Japan. The Final of the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup.

By Money Mike





Well here we are folks, it's the final of the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup. The United States are going for their third title, while Japan are trying to become the forth team to win the World Cup. So far a total of 82 goals have been scored in this years tournament. Mainly because FIFA had this field set at 16 teams, so there would be 4 groups with 4 teams in each group and the top 2 teams in each group would move on to the knockout stages. I find that kind of boring because 32 games doesn't give the fans much excitement. But what I'm hearing is that FIFA will expand the field in the 2015 Women's World Cup which will take place in Canada. The number of teams will be expanded from 16 to 24 and the number of matches will be expanded from 32 to 52. But anyway, this match kicks off at 11:30am on ESPN, you guys seriously need to catch this and show your support for your country. I don't care if you don't watch women's soccer. I mean, I'm not a big women's soccer fan myself, the only time I watch women's soccer is if it's the World Cup or the Olympics. Also, I don't care if you don't like soccer in general. This is USA, there's no reason why you shouldn't support them. They made it this far. Is that not a good enough reason to cheer them on?



How Japan made it this far:



You gotta say, that 1-0 result in the quarterfinal against two-time defending Champions and host nation Germany was the biggest upset so far in this years World Cup. Japan finished second in their group while Germany dominated their group, and everybody was expecting Germany to blow them out and then when I saw the final score, I was like "HOLY SHIT". And considering I have a German background, I was pretty disappointed. I mean, I was born in Tacoma, but my great grandparents were from Germany. But anyway, here are the results leading up to the final...........



Group B:


June 27 vs New Zealand - 2-1 (W)


July 1 vs Mexico - 4-0 (W)


July 5 vs England - 2-0 (L)



Quarterfinal:


July 9 vs Germany - 1-0 (W) (OT)



Semifinal:


July 13 vs Sweden - 3-1 (W)



How USA made it this far:


Well, the match they'll be talking about for the long time is the Quarterfinal match against Brazil. Down 2-1 in added time of extra time, the U.S. needed a goal to stay alive. And Abby Wambach delivered. This goal was probably better than Landon Donovan's goal against Algeria to send the U.S. men's team through to the knockout round in last years World Cup in South Africa.


Here are the results for the Americans...



Group C:


June 28 vs Korea DPR - 2-0 (W)


July 2 vs Colombia - 3-0 (W)


July 6 vs Sweden - 2-1 (L)



Quarterfinal:


July 10 vs Brazil - 2-2 (W 5-3 on PK's)



Semifinal:


July 13 vs France - 3-1 (W)

No comments:

Post a Comment