Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Patton's 2011 NFL Mock Draft



By Patton Richard

1. Carolina Panthers: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn.

People will argue whether this is the right pick, all I can say is we don't know enough about him. If he LOVES football like Tebow or Locker does, then he can succeed. If he's more worried about establishing a brand, I'm not so sure. If Carolina picks him they've done their homework. It's not like they're passing on Ndamukong Suh for him.

2. Denver Broncos: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama.

This pick seems fairly certain at this point. Marcell Dareus isn't nearly as good as Suh, infact I'd have him ranked below Gerald Mccoy (who went 3rd last year) too. This pick is for sale (Arizona is who would want to trade up here as they want to jump Buffalo as they both have the same needs).

3. Buffalo Bills: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

My #2 rated player in this draft behind the guy who goes #4. I like Peterson, I think he's an elite playmaker. I ranked him above Joe Haden (the #1 CB last year).

4. Cincinnati Bengals: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia.

Cincinnati really needs a wide receiver. Although, don't be surprised if it's Julio Jones here. All I'm hearing about A.J. is that he's a superstar waiting to breakout, whereas Julio Jones is a football playing proffessional, who will run perfect routes and od the dirty things and not complain. We'll see who Cincinnatti takes.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M


Von Miller and Patrick Peterson are the two guys they want most. It looks like they'll get one of them.

6. Cleveland Browns: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama

I was told Julio Jones is the best blocking WR of the last 15 years. He's going to show up, and do everything you want him to do.


7. San Francisco 49ers: Jake Locker, QB, Washington.

I'm just going off what I believe to be true here. Jake Locker is a better fit for Harbaugh's system then Gabbert is. Also, Locker isn't guaranteed to make it past Tennessee, Washington, Minnesota or Miami so trading down makes it difficult. Robert Quinn could easily be the guy here too.

8. Tennessee Titans: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn.

Tennessee needs defensive linemen and they just hired the DL coach from Auburn in Tracy Rocker.

9. Dallas Cowboys: Tyron Smith, T, USC.

I've been hearing it's him or one of the two corner backs.


10. Washington Redskins: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

I don't think they're actually happy about this at all. They wanted Locker or Juloi Jones and they're both gone.

11. Houston Texans: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina


It's tough here between Quinn and the CB needs. I think they'll address CB by Free Agency or trade up for Peterson if he drops.

12. Minnesota Vikings: Mike Pouncey, C/G, Florida

I've been hearing this for over a month now.

13. Detroit Lions: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado

I think Detroit goes CB here, but I'm not sure which one. I like Smith more and I keep hearing his off the field troubles aren't so troubling at all.

14. St. Louis Rams: Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois.

Liuget has huge upside, I'd love for him to drop to Seattle.

15. Miami Dolphins: Da'Quan Bowers DE, Clemson

Top 5 talent drops due to scary medical. Miami needs a passrusher.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

Best player available, I guess. I'm not a huge Prince fan.

17. New England Patriots (from OAK): JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin.

I keep hearing they want to trade up, but knowing them they probably want to trade down or out of the first round.

18. San Diego Chargers: Cameron Jordan, DE, California.

Scheme fit. People thought Cameron Jordan fight be a top 5 guy after his Senior Bowl. His stock is falling but not that far, he could certainly go before this.

19. New York Giants: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College

I think he's the 2nd best OT in the draft, and he's gotta go at some point.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue

They want a pass rush, Kerrigan is a high floor low ceiling type player

21. Kansas City Chiefs: Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor.

Trusting a source here, saying Romeo Crennel wants a nose tackle. But lets be honest, KC now runs the same way NE does, so who knows.

22. Indianapolis Colts: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

Rarely does Bill Polian come out and say exactly what it is they need, so I trust they'll go OT here.

23. Philadelphia Eagles: Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri

This is a tough pick to narrow down, I know they'd love a CB here. I feel like it could be Danny Watkins here too.

24. New Orleans Saints: Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin.


There right side was bad, and Carimi is a fantastic run blocker. I think he fits the system well here.


25. Seattle Seahawks: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama

This is a weird spot, and I think Seattle would trade down. When writing this spot I wrote down these names: Mark Ingram, Danny Watkins, Marvin Austin, Muhammad Wilkerson, Stephen Paea, Kyle Rudolph, Jonathan Baldwin, Titus Young, Jerrell Jennigan, Aaron Williams, and Colin Kaepernick. This is why we need to trade out of the first round, I decided to go with Mark Ingram for a few reasons. Yes, I think this is a luxury pick. I know RB is not our biggest need. His 10 yard burst at the combine was fantastic, so ignore his 40 time. Secondly, he runs angry like he's going to hurt someone. Third, everyone hated Lynch and our RBs until the Saints game, but he wasn't great, or even good, last year. I think Ingram can be a probowler right away, and we need talent everywhere. I'm surprised this pick came this way.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Brandon Harris, CB, Miami (FL)

This seems like somewhat of a reach, but Ozzie Newsome is the best drafting GM in the league. They always look towards what they're going to need, and they're going to need more corner backs now and later.

27. Atlanta Falcons: Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame

This is the perfect fit, but somewhat of a luxury pick. They would love a WR here too. I don't know which one they'd prefer.

28. New England Patriots: Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor.

Probowl caliber olinemen goes to a team where he can start right away and everyone will ask "Why didn't we take him earlier?"

29. Chicago Bears: Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State

They need oline help badly.

30. New York Jets: Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina.


They need Dlinmen badly, it's either him Wilkerson or Paea.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa

He's tough, feels like a Pittsburgh pick.

32. Green Bay Packers: Muhammed Wilkerson, DE, Temple

They're going to go after a passrusher, maybe Brooks Reed here?


Round 2


33. New England Patriots (from CAR): Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech

They need a runningback, I think they might take Ingram at #17.

34. Buffalo Bills: Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas

In order to be a QB you have to have a STRONG arm. Mallett has that, although I keep hearing he might slip out of the 2nd ala Colt McCoy.


35. Cincinnati Bengals: Andy Dalton, QB, TCU

I'm told Jay Gruden loves Dalton and thinks he's a good fit for the WCO.

36. Denver Broncos: Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA

They are taking Defense throughout the entire draft. He's the best one on the board

37. Cleveland Browns: Brooks Reed, OLB/DE, Arizona

I think he's the hybrid type that will work for Cleveland.

38. Arizona Cardinals: Jerrel Jernigan, WR, Troy

I love Jernigan, and I think Arizona needs more targets.

39. Tennessee Titans: Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State

I think the Titans would prefer getting Dalton over Ponder, but we'll see.

40. Dallas Cowboys: Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia

Dallas would love to take another CB, that's why I'm hearing it could be Jimmy Smith or Prince in the first, I think they'll settly with Dowling here.

41. Washington Redskins: Rodney Hudson, OG, Florida State

Fits the scheme well.

42. Houston Texans: Aaron Williams, CB/S, Texas.

He might be a CB, but I think he'd be a safety.

43. Minnesota Vikings: Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh

Big wide receiver to replace Sidney Rice if he walks this year.



44. Detroit Lions: Mason Foster, LB, Washington

I think they go DE or LB here. Foster, Martez Willson and Bruce Carter are my highest 3 left.

45. San Francisco 49ers: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State

I feel like Paea is a Harbaugh type of player.

46. Denver Broncos (from MIA): Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State

It's all defense.

47. St. Louis Rams: Titus Young, WR, Boise State

Tough to place him over Torrey Smith, but I think Young fits Mcdaniels better.

48. Oakland Raiders: Stefen Wisniewski, C, Penn State

Everyone has been saying this is Oakland's target, but Torrey Smith sure does run fast...

49. Jacksonville Jaguars: Colin Kaepernick, QB, Nevada

Just a hunch here.

50. San Diego Chargers: Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland


Wide Receiver here I guess, I mean San Diego had the #1 Offense and #1 Defense last year.

51. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Rahim Moore, S, UCLA


This seems to be a good fit for Moore and for Tampa.

52. New York Giants: Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois

A lot of people have Leshoure has the #1 RB in this draft, and he falls this far.

53. Indianapolis Colts: Ben Ijalana, OT, Villanova

They're going to take olinemen at every chance they get.

54. Philadelphia Eagles: Martez Wilson, LB, Illinois


Good LB that fits a need.

55. Kansas City Chiefs: Bruce Carter, LB, North Carolina

Fits the system.

56. New Orleans Saints: Drake Nevis, DT, LSU

He's a big big boy.


57. Seattle Seahawks: James Carpenter, OT, Alabama

Again I wrote down 5 names: James Carpenter (OT, Alabama), Edmund Gates (WR, Abilene Christian), Greg Little (WR, North Carolina), Christian Ballard (DE, Iowa), Jurrell Casey (DT, USC). I wanted to place Greg Little here so badly, but wussed out. I think Carpenter is the best OL left.

58. Baltimore Ravens: Christian Ballard, DE, Iowa

Good DE. I'm not quite sure on the scheme fit, but I like him.

59. Atlanta Falcons: Randall Cobb, WR, Kentucky

A playmaker for the offense that wants/needs them. He's like Mccluster and will probably go way earlier than this.

60. New England Patriots: Jabaal Sheard, LB, Pittsburgh

New England is just taking the highest rated player that falls.

61. San Diego Chargers (from NYJ): Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville

I really don't know what to do with San Diego.

62. Chicago Bears: Jarvis Jenkins, DT, Clemson

Chicago needs to replace Tommie Harris badly.

63. Pittsburgh Steelers: Curtis Marsh, CB, Utah State

They would love to get a CB earlier, but Curtis Marsh is a physical player.

64. Green Bay Packers: Jurrell Casey, DT, USC

I think he should go before this. Green Bay won the superbowl with lots of players on IR, they draft depth everywhere and Casey will play in the NFL for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment